Re: had another crash, reboot usb failed, powerdown reboot usb failed

On Thursday, 2 June 2022 11:02:10 EDT David Wright wrote:
> [...]
>
> Obviously, it would complicate configuring a system if you actually
> went ahead with installing the root filesystem onto a partition that
> still contained a load of old files from some previous installation.
>
> So I'd be interested to see the screen display at the point where you
> tell it to "Finish partitioning and write changes to disk". That's
> at the bottom of the screen that displays all the partitions, that
> looks vaguely like this:
>
>   ┌────────────────────────┤ [!!] Partition disks
> ├─────────────────────────┐ │
>                                │ │ This is an overview of your
> currently configured partitions and mount   │ │ points. Select a
> partition to modify its settings (file system, mount   │ │ point,
> etc.), a free space to create partitions, or a device to         │ │
> initialize its partition table.
>  │ │
>       │ │  Configure iSCSI volumes
>        ↑   │ │
>             ▒   │ │  Encrypted volume (sda5_crypt) - 31.4 GB Linux
> device-mapper (cryp  ▒   │ │  >     #1     31.4 GB    f  ext4
>             /             ▒   │ │  SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) - 500.1 GB ATA
> ST3500000AA                     ▒   │ │  >             1.0 MB
> FREE SPACE                              ▒   │ │  >     #1      3.1 MB
>   K  biosgrub    BIOS boot pa                ▒   │ │  >     #2
> 520.1 MB    F  ext2        BullBoot      /boot         ▒   │ │  >
> #3    524.3 MB       ext2        Linux swap                  ▒   │ │
> >     #4     31.5 GB       ext4        Viva-A                      ▒
> │ │  >     #5     31.5 GB    K  crypto      Viva-B        (sda5_crypt)
>  ▒   │ │  >     #6    436.1 GB                   Viva-Home
>       ▒   │ │  >             7.7 kB       FREE SPACE
>            ▒   │ │  SCSI7 (0,0,0) (sdb) - 1.0 GB Multiple Card Reader
>                 ▒   │ │
>                      ▒   │ │  Undo changes to partitions
>                           ▮   │ │  Finish partitioning and write
> changes to disk                      ↓   │ │
>                                               │ │     <Go Back>
>                                                    │ │
>                                                         │
> └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
> ────┘
>
> In this particular instance, my real, encrypted /home on partition #6,
> the unencrypted buster on #4, the random-encrypted swap almost filling
> #3, and Grub's playground in #1 will all be left undisturbed by the
> "write changes to disk" step. Only partition #2 (for unencrypted /boot)
> and the encrypted filesystem inside partition #5 (for /) will be
> formatted.
>
> At the end of the d-i, there will be a vestigial /home/me containing
> three dotfiles in the root filesystem, and I will login as root to
> set up the script that decrypts partition #6 and mounts it on /home,
> "concealing" /home/me. Also there will be a swap configuration to add
> to /etc/crypttab and /etc/fstab.
>
> The d-i doesn't have to know about any of this. It would be sensible
> for you to treat your raid10 /home partition similarly.

I might give this install one more re-install, after I swap a 240G
kingston SSD for a 1t samsung and back up my present raid10's contents to
it so I've a backup/recovery at least possible.

But I have other alligators snapping at me too so it won't be for a
couple weeks yet.

Thanks David, take care and stay well.

> Cheers,
> David.