Re: declarative (config file) way idea of handling the OS by way of the old system

Andy Smith wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 08:05:28AM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > For a single user's machine, it's unlikely to be rewarding
> > except intellectually.

[good arguments snipped]

> There have honestly been times in my life where I've had to look at
> something set up by someone who's no longer around (or by me, a
> decade previous!) and with only the things in config management I've
> been able to work out which pieces the service is composed of, and
> just that's been a God send and a bigger win than the automated
> nature of the setup which is the thing people usually praise config
> management for!

Yes but: all of these are no longer in the domain of a single
person's system, but rather concern a second person (or third or
Nth) trying to understand that system.

I suppose having that wouldn't be bad to remind your future self
what you had done, mind you. There are projects at work which I
don't touch for years... but then, that's where I do spend the
time to use configuration management.

-dsr-