Re: declarative (config file) way idea of handling the OS by way of the old system

Hello,

On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 08:05:28AM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> For a single user's machine, it's unlikely to be rewarding
> except intellectually.

It is however a great way to document a system for those that don't
get around to making free text notes. The language of the
configuration management tool both does the setup and documents what
needs to be done.

This is useful even for a single human, but if you have multiple
people working on things then there is some value in all of them
learning how to read the domain-specific language of the chosen
config management tool (e.g. Ansible, Puppet, etc.) vs. everyone
making their own notes in their own style.

That covers the "what"; generally more documentation is needed for
the "why", but even if it never comes the things in the config
management are better than nothing.

There have honestly been times in my life where I've had to look at
something set up by someone who's no longer around (or by me, a
decade previous!) and with only the things in config management I've
been able to work out which pieces the service is composed of, and
just that's been a God send and a bigger win than the automated
nature of the setup which is the thing people usually praise config
management for!

Cheers,
Andy