Re: Why is heyu not in debian?

On Mon 30 May 2022 at 11:00:50 (-0400), The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2022-05-30 at 10:49, gene heskett wrote:
>
> > I have been useing it, or writing its functions to talk to a cm-11a
> > interface to all the X10 modules for remoting and automating things
> > about the house, since back in the 80's. Suffering from 2, 2T seagate
> > failures in the last 2 months, the rebuild of a workiing system and
> > all its backups has been slow. I *think* I still have a working
> > CM-11a, but its recently come to my attention that there is now an
> > arduino kit to emulate the CM-11a. That removes the lack of a
> > computer to line power interface that for some unk reason, has not
> > been available from X10 for about 20 years now.  We can now make our
> > own.
> >
> > So I issued a 'sudo apt install heyu", only to have apt report it
> > couldn't find such a critter.
> >
> > Why is that?
>
> A bit of Googling finds https://sources.debian.org/src/heyu/ , which in
> turn (via the version-specific sub-pages) finds
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/heyu , which shows that this *was* in
> Debian a long time ago; specifically, it was part of slink and potato,
> and the last version included was both x86-only and packaged back in 2001.
>
> I've looked for packages.debian.org information on it, but found nothing.

But grepping x10 does bring up something called bottlerocket. Be aware
that googling throws up a lot of other "bottlerocket"s.

Package: bottlerocket

Description-en: Utility to control X10 Firecracker devices for home automation
  A command-line utility to interact with the Firecracker version of
  X10's home control devices (wireless home automation to control lights,
  cameras, appliances via a small transmitter that plugs into the standard
  RS-232 serial port of a computer).
  .
  Also included is rocket launcher, a graphical frontend to bottlerocket.
  If you want this functionality you should have wish (tk8.3 or tk8.4 - the
  Tcl/Tk interpreter) installed.

The pages on the heyu website appear to be rather ancient.
There are people active, eg for the Pi:
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=327319

Cheers,
David.