Re: Why is heyu not in debian?

On 2022-05-30 at 10:49, gene heskett wrote:

> Greetings all;
>
> I have been useing it, or writing its functions to talk to a cm-11a
> interface to all the X10 modules for remoting and automating things
> about the house, since back in the 80's. Suffering from 2, 2T seagate
> failures in the last 2 months, the rebuild of a workiing system and
> all its backups has been slow. I *think* I still have a working
> CM-11a, but its recently come to my attention that there is now an
> arduino kit to emulate the CM-11a. That removes the lack of a
> computer to line power interface that for some unk reason, has not
> been available from X10 for about 20 years now.  We can now make our
> own.
>
> So I issued a 'sudo apt install heyu", only to have apt report it
> couldn't find such a critter.
>
> Why is that?

A bit of Googling finds https://sources.debian.org/src/heyu/ , which in
turn (via the version-specific sub-pages) finds
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/heyu , which shows that this *was* in
Debian a long time ago; specifically, it was part of slink and potato,
and the last version included was both x86-only and packaged back in 2001.

I've looked for packages.debian.org information on it, but found nothing.

More Googling revealed that what appears to be you yourself responded to
someone asking about why heyu was not in Debian, back in 2005:

That answer implies that the removal might have been for licensing
reasons. https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/12/msg00073.html
(from 2002) seems to support that idea, and references bug #149128.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=149128 indicates what
happened, but doesn't contain much explanation as to why; it would seem
fine to have moved heyu into non-free, rather than removing it from the
archive entirely.

My best guess remains that the package maintainer decided (perhaps for
that licensing reason) to not continue maintaining it, and so it wound
up being dropped.

--
   The Wanderer