Re: Package heyu

On Friday 18 March 2005 10:16, Luis Fernando Llana Díaz wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>  I am installing a X10 controller in my home. I have seen that
> there exists in the Debian repository a package call xtend that
> depends on heyu, but the later is not in the repository. Is there a
> problem with heyu?
>
>Luis.

Yes, lack of support & possibly licensing issues.  Here is the general
text of the license that came in the tarball I have:
-------------------
/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

 |      Enhanced HEYU Functionality for Uploaded Timers and Macros
|
 |                 Copyright 2002 Charles W. Sullivan
|
 |                      All Right Reserved
|

 | This software is licensed free of charge for non-commercial
distribution   |
 | and for personal and internal business use only.  Inclusion of this
|
 | software or any part thereof in a commercial product is prohibited
|
 | without the prior written permission of the author.  You may copy,
use,    |
 | and distribute this software subject to the following restrictions:
|

 |  1)  You may not charge money for it.
|
 |  2)  You may not remove or alter this license, copyright notice, or
the    |
 |      included disclaimers.
|
 |  3)  You may not claim you wrote it.
|
 |  4)  If you make improvements (or other changes), you are requested
|
 |      to send them to the official Heyu maintainer, Daniel B.
Suthers       |
 |      (dbs@tanj.com), so there's a focal point for distributing
improved    |
 |      versions.
|

 | As used herein, HEYU is a trademark of Daniel B. Suthers, while
X10,       |
 | CM11A, and Activehome are trademarks of X10 Wireless Technology,
Inc.      |
 | The author is not affiliated with either entity.
|

 | Charles W. Sullivan
|
 | Greensboro, North Carolina
|
 | Email: cwsulliv@triad.rr.com
|

 | Disclaimers:
|
 | THERE IS NO ASSURANCE THAT THIS SOFTWARE IS FREE OF DEFECTS AND IT
MUST    |
 | NOT BE USED IN ANY SITUATION WHERE THERE IS ANY CHANCE THAT ITS
|
 | PERFORMANCE OR FAILURE TO PERFORM AS EXPECTED COULD RESULT IN LOSS
OF      |
 | LIFE, INJURY TO PERSONS OR PROPERTY, FINANCIAL LOSS, OR LEGAL
LIABILITY.   |

 | TO THE EXTENT ALLOWED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED
"AS IS",|
 | WITH NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
THE    |
 | IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE.|

 | IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW WILL THE AUTHOR BE
LIABLE    |
 | FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR
CONSEQUENTIAL   |
 | DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THIS SOFTWARE
EVEN IF   |
 | THE AUTHOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

So thats not exactly a GPL license.  And it only exists in one of the
src files, process.c.

However the last time I went looking for it, I was unable to find it,
but don't recall where now but I did find a heyu2.alpha-2.tgz.

Its not *that* big, and I could email that tarball to those who ask.
Its 145Kb.  All src codes.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)