Re: Which Program does WebKitWebProcess belong to

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 12:44:22AM +0200, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> Hi, you want to play with apt-file.
> Cheers,
> Jerome

Unfortunately it's not that simple.

unicorn:~$ locate WebKit
[...]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/webkit2gtk-4.0/WebKitWebProcess
[...]

unicorn:~$ dpkg -S /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/webkit2gtk-4.0/WebKitWebProcess
libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/webkit2gtk-4.0/WebKitWebProcess

That's presumably what you were going to get out of apt-file -- the name
of the package that contains WebKitWebProcess.  Unfortunately that doesn't
tell you which *web browser* is using this library.

Now, the OP probably knows which web browser they're running.  Unless
they happen to be running more than one, in which case the confusion
is understandable.

Nevertheless, the easiest way for the OP to tell which web browser is
the culprit would be to close one of them, and see if WebKitWebProcess
goes away.  Repeat, closing each web browser one by one, until the
culprit is identified.

Another approach would be to try something like:

unicorn:~$ aptitude why libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37
i   steam:i386 Recommends zenity:i386
i A zenity     Provides   zenity:i386
i A zenity     Depends    libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 (>= 2.15.1)

Now, that's just my case, and that's clearly not helpful to the OP.
But the OP could run that same command (or a similar one, if their
version of libwebkit2gtk is slightly different), and find out what
package(s) on their system use this library.