Re: Which Program does WebKitWebProcess belong to

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 07:08:30PM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On 26/05/2022 22:43, tmcconnell168@gmail.com wrote:
> > > I'm getting high CPU usage from WebKitWebProcess (50% or higher) on my
> > > machine and would like to know how to find what is being a CPU hog, for
> > > one. And how to report it?
>
> On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 12:44:22AM +0200, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> > Hi, you want to play with apt-file.
> > Cheers,
> > Jerome
>
> Unfortunately it's not that simple.

[...]

Let alone that there may (probably will) be more than one instance
of WebKitWebProcess around. They might even take turns at hogging
your CPU. That's what web browsers were built for, after all.

Option --forest of your trusty `ps' might shed light in process
parentage.

Another avenue (but be careful!) I try sometimes is to kill the
process (don't use -9 unless absolutely necessary) and see which
application twitches/complains. This might leave some messes to
clean up.

Cheers