Re: Installing Jessie on VirtualBox

On Mon, 23 May 2022, Antonino Saetta wrote:

Hi, guys

As requested I'm breaking down which files I've used:

- For the DVD installation, I
used https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/8.11.1/amd64/iso-dvd/
<https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/8.11.1/amd64/iso-dvd/>

- For the CD,
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/8.11.1/amd64/iso-cd/

- For the NET, simply that from the first line here:
https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/debian-installer/

I've also tried through some Live images (
https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/8.11.0-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/,
standard and GNOME), but still the same issues as mentioned in the initial
post...

Finally I've texted VirtualBox but they claim they can't help because the
version I'm using is out of date (but it's the most recent I can use).

If I can't solve this by tomorrow, I'll look at Debian Stretch (as that's
still lighter than Bullseye) and see if I can at least  manage to work with
that...

Thanks for all the help!

Have you tried debootstrap? I have my own system for installing and I
can still install a minimal Jessie system.

I have the following in my scripts:

jessie_sources()
{
  cat <<EOF
Types: deb
URIs: http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian
Suites: jessie
Components: main

Types: deb
URIs: http://security.debian.org
Suites: jessie/updates
Components: main

Types: deb-src
URIs: http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian
Suites: jessie
Components: main

Types: deb-src
URIs: http://security.debian.org
Suites: jessie/updates
Components: main

EOF
}

jessie_sources_list()
{
  cat <<EOF
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian jessie main
deb http://security.debian.org jessie/updates main

deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian jessie main
deb-src http://security.debian.org jessie/updates main

EOF
}

The former is used to bootstrap the packages to the point where I can
chroot to a jessie image and the latter is what jessie needs.

There's no reason to have both except that I added jessie to my
bootstrap system after it was working for stretch+ so I had to add
jessie_sources_list as a special case

(N.B. I don't use debootstrap for this but I'd assume debootstrap will
still work. I have my own system, that I'm happy to share but it's still
not in a very clean state for others to build on - and that's unlikely
to change soon. It's based on the idea of "Essential on a Diet" and it
bootstraps using just apt (to get the packages, the dependencies, the
install plan and to install everything beyond the point where apt itself
can be run in a chroot) and dpkg to unpack and install up to that point.
It can handle armel, i386, and amd64 for Jessie)

Tim.