Re: Installing Jessie on VirtualBox

IL Ka [2022-05-24 00:44:45] wrote:
>> RAM, disk space... and so on :/
> What makes you think so? One person on this thread said he runs Bullseye on
> a laptop from 2003.

FWIW on my X30, disk space is not a problem (it came with a 40GB HDD,
IIRC and it need a ½ PATA disk which are hard to come by nowadays, but
I bought instead a cheap PATA<->M.2 adapter where I plugged a left over
128GB SSD).

The main limitations are:

- First and foremost the 1GB of RAM.  This is fine for some uses
  (e.g. I mostly run XFCE4 to project PDFs in a classroom), but definitely
  not when you try to run Firefox.
- The fact that I can't seem to get more than about 40MB/s when
  accessing the disk.

But for slightly more recent hardware: my main work laptop is a T61
(i.e. 2007 vintage, with 8GB of RAM, and a 250GB SSD) which runs Debian
testing just fine for my use (i.e. in most situations it doesn't feel
noticeably less responsive than the Librem mini I bought 2 years ago).

For lots of use cases, CPUs have not gotten terribly faster over the
last 15 years.

        Stefan