Re: weather station

On Sat, May 21, 2022 at 03:57:50PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
Whilst you conspicuously omit indication of where you are located, I have found that, here in Australia, the weather bureau has gone malicious, and blocks access where a web site visitor tries to reload a web page in less than a (unknown) specified period of time, which is somewhere around four hours after the web page was last reloaded.

I have found using the pws dashboard for a local weather station on the Weather Underground, to be both more reliable, and, more localised (e.g., for me, https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IWESTERN754), as the local Weather Underground is within about a kilometre, and, the weather bureau closest weather station, is about 10-15 kilometres away. The Weather Underground PWS dashboard updates, usually,about every 10-20s, I think.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

Hi, Bret.  I am in central Texas, a little southeast of Austin.  My
weather station is at alysonwonderland.org.

The weather bureau web site does not restrict access:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Smithville&state=TX&site=EWX&textField1=30.0077&textField2=-97.1566

I considered wunderground.com, but the last time I checked, it seemed
to me that wunderground "boilerplate" was too restrictive.  So I have
been paying for hosting and have been running the open-source weewx
package for several years.

My hardware is Davis, which has proved reliable.  The only failures
have been a bad supercapacitor, loss of an anemometer cup in a
hailstorm, loss of windvane signal due to a lightning strike, and an
anemometer shaft slowed by a spider web.  Each problem has been subtle
and has necessitated a bit of detective work, but Davis support in
diagnosis has been exceptional.

RLH