Re: Disable connections to Internet without user's consent

On 5/17/22, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
> Andrea Monaco wrote:
>>
>> I wonder all the ways a standard installation and configuration connects
>> to the Internet without the user's consent, and how to disable it.
>>
>> I can think of the automatic check for updates and the automatic
>> security updates.  Any other?  Is there a manual page that lists all of
>> them?
>
> Neither one of those is automatic. Someone with root privileges
> needs to install a package like apticron to get that.
>
> I believe, but have not confirmed: if you install a base Debian
> stable system, no extra packages, it will not initiate any
> connection without user action.

Off the top of my head, NTP and DNS lookups for the NTP servers if nothing else.

I don't know what all apt-daily.timer does aside from creating lots of
log msgs, but "daily download activities" doesn't sound like something
I want.  Not that it means all that much, but I haven't noticed any
problems after turning it off:
$ sudo systemctl status apt-daily.timer
● apt-daily.timer - Daily apt download activities
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/apt-daily.timer; disabled;
vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
    Trigger: n/a
   Triggers: ● apt-daily.service