Analog-digital conversion with puzzling results...

Hi,

I hope to get some advice or to be pointed to some place where I can find a solution to a really frustrating problem.

I'm using again, after some years, an analog-digital audio/video converter by Canopus, namely ADVC 110. I'm not a professional, but this equipment is rather good and I've using it for years to convert many old VHS and Video8 tapes. Please note that it needs a Firewire adapter to work. I had some, all based on the VIA chipset 6306/7. This cards work very well with my miniDV Firewire native camcorder, too.

Recently, I wanted to convert some other tapes I found in the attic, but something very strange is happening.

Some tapes I bought many year ago look ugly, in terms of colors. See for example frame 1 and frame 3, taken from the (ugly by itself) movie "The Lion King 2". I tried some other tapes, also some more recent ones, with the same results. The tapes look good if I connect the VHS player to my TV, with the same cables that connect it to the ADVC.

But other tapes are captured well by the ADVC, even some I shoot by myself about 30 years ago. I mean, colors are "right", as right they could be on a VHS, as you can see in frame 2 and frame 4. Actually, I tried with several VHS tapes I shoot by myself, and I could not reproduce this problem yet. It really seems to arise with commercial tapes only, but not with all of them.

By the way, the four frames were all taken from a capture of "The Lion King 2": every now and then some "good" frames are captured, so even the same tape is not all bad, though about 99% is horrible.

Any hint would be very appreciated.

PS
I'm not going to capture "The Lion King 2", of course, it's just the example I have at hand right now.