Re: Permanent email address?

On Sun, 15 May 2022 10:08:57 -0400
rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

>  I would like to have an email address that will be permanent, in
> that, for example, I can move it from provider to provider as I
> desire or need (if, for example, a provider goes out of business).
> (And that gets my email out of google's control / reach.)

Decades ago, when my wife and I set up our own company, we decided it
would be unprofessional to have email addresses like paulf@juno.com and
nancyf@compuserve.com. So we secured a domain for the business and made
our own email addresses under that domain. We've used those as our
principle email addresses ever since. I've moved that domain to
different registrars and hosting companies several times since. Costs
are the initial setup (originally $35.00) and yearly domain
re-registration (about $15).

I have a gmail account as well, and I use either fetchmail or
Claws-Mail to pick up my gmail messages. Unfortunately, some of my
other accounts (like Youtube) rely on that email address. Can't move
it, can't remove it. Strategically, Google = Microsoft = Adobe = Apple.
Same crap, different brand.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster