Re: Permanent email address?

On Sun, 15 May 2022 17:50:34 +0200
Markus Schönhaber <debian-user@list-post.mks-mail.de> wrote:

> 15.05.22, 16:31 +0200, Reco:
>
> > On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 10:08:57AM -0400,rhkramer@gmail.com  wrote:
> >

> >> My understanding is that the (only?) way to do get such a
> >> permanent address is to have my own domain and assign an email
> >> address in that domain to me?
> > If you have to be in control over sending and receiving e-mail
> > you'll need your own MTA. That implies a domain you control.
>
> No. The OP wants control over their mail address. For that, they need
> to own the address' domain. That's the all-important point. And if
> they do, it doesn't matter whether they operate the domain's MX
> themselves or delegate that to someone else.
>
> OTOH, operating an MTA doesn't necessarily make you owner or
> controller of the domain(s) it is responsible for. I, for example,
> operate an MTA for some domains I neither own nor control. And that
> is not too uncommon a business model.

The OP makes mention of mail 'going through' Google. I believe these
days anyone who handles your email has reserved themselves the right to
read that email and use any data in it as it thinks fit. Even if this
isn't explicit in T&Cs I'm quite sure it's normal practice. I think the
only way to avoid this is not to let your incoming email sit in anyone
else's server i.e. to run an MTA. This is independent of domain
ownership.

--
Joe