Re: Permanent email address?

Joe writes:
> The OP makes mention of mail 'going through' Google. I believe these
> days anyone who handles your email has reserved themselves the right to
> read that email and use any data in it as it thinks fit.

In the case of free providers such as Gmail of course they do, and they
say so.  Why else do you think they spend money providing the service?

> Even if this isn't explicit in T&Cs

In the case of paid providers such as Pobox it is not.  Quite the
contrary.

> I'm quite sure it's normal practice.

If you believe that and consider all of your email secret your only
option is end to end encryption.

> I think the only way to avoid this is not to let your incoming email
> sit in anyone else's server i.e. to run an MTA.

My incoming mail never sits in Pobox's server for more than one minute.
But it's a store and forward system.  My packets must pass through my
ISP's servers and through various peering centers just as yours do.
--
John Hasler
john@sugarbit.com