Re: Changing from Debian 9.13 to Debian 11.3

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022, 8:21 AM Richard Owlett <rcowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
I am not upgrading in place.

I currently have Debian 9.13 installed on one partition with /home on a
different partition.

I will install Debian 11.3 on a fresh partition and have /home remain on
its current partition.

I'm aware of cautions about upgrading in-place  cf
[https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html]

Are there things to be aware of when using the same /home partition on both?

My approach to this is to create (and use) a separate Partition, which I call /bighome.  When I create users (I use several, based on Function), I separately create a Directory on /bighome, and change its ownership to the User.

Each Partition has its own /home, but mainly for the .dot files.  Anything that is likely to be long term is on /bighome.

This /bighome has survived from Squeeze to Bookworm, as well as a number of Ubuntu releases.

Hope this helps.

Kenneth Parker