Re: CMOS clock (was: Changing from Debian 9.13 to Debian 11.3)

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 05:21:56PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > (When switching between Unix and Windows, I need t adjust the CMOS clock on
> > the next boot.)
>
> Side note: You could presumably skip this by configuring your Windows
> installs to use UTC for the CMOS clock.  See e.g.:
>
>     https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/System_time#UTC_in_Microsoft_Windows

Anecdote: there was a time where Microsoft hadn't yet understood the
concept of a time-zone independent system time which was then translated
to a more user-facing local time. UNIX was already happy doing that.

I was working back then for a software shop doing C development for DOS
(ick...), then Windows.

Timestamps for files under Windows were, of course, local time too.
Imagine Make's confusion (which relies on comparing file time stamps)
the "Day After", especially when files were copied over from a sane
Unix-y box (we had Coherent, then, yes, Linux).

We decided to put all Windows boxes in a time zone which was
"naturally" GMT and had no DST changes. I remember all our Windows
boxes lived in Liberia/Monrovia. Make was happy.

Cheers