Re: Changing from Debian 9.13 to Debian 11.3

On 04/21/2022 07:34 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:
I am not upgrading in place.

I currently have Debian 9.13 installed on one partition with /home on a
different partition.

I will install Debian 11.3 on a fresh partition and have /home remain on its
current partition.

I'm aware of cautions about upgrading in-place  cf [https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html]

Are there things to be aware of when using the same /home partition on both?

There are edge cases, but nothing major.

For example, if you write lots of interpreted programs, you may
discover that a Debian-supplied language has been upgraded --
say, Python 2 to Python 3 -- and some programs need to be fixed.

I don't write much code and just about all of it is shell commands.
IIRC any program I put under /home is self-contained w.o. external dependencies.

If you have hardcoded paths to /usr/bin, note that you may have
errors because those programs are now in /bin.

I assume any problem there cause things to come to a screeching halt.
IOW existence of a problem will be obvious.

It is possible, if you are careful, to share /home between
different operating systems. Not just different Linux distros,
but BSDs and other UNIXoids.

-dsr-