Re: system freeze

mick crane composed on 2022-04-20 11:47 (UTC+0100):

> Graphics:
>    Device-1: AMD Pitcairn LE GL [FirePro W5000] vendor: Dell driver:
> radeon
>      v: kernel alternate: amdgpu pcie: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 16
> ports:
>      active: DP-1 empty: DP-2,DVI-I-1 bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:6809
>      class-ID: 0300
>    Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.3 compositor: xfwm v: 4.16.1
> driver:
>      X: loaded: radeon unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa gpu: radeon
Your GPU has another driver option set. Currently you are using radeon kernel
device driver with radeon DDX Xorg display driver. You may switch to the amdgpu
kernel device driver, which supports both the amdgpu DDX display driver and the
modesetting DIX display driver. To make the switch, append the following to the
linu lines in /boot/grub/grub.cfg and GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= in
/etc/default/grub:

	 radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1

Switching between the two Xorg drivers can be done via config file in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ to specify either with a device line.

Because it's happening in web browser, I'm guessing GPU overheat is likely the
cause. Taking the cover off the PC and aiming a large fan at the interior may be
telling. Make sure the CPU fan, if present, is working, and the heat sink isn't
loaded with accumulated dust and tobacco tar. If it is, then the PS would need
cleaning too, as there it could cause voltage instability from overheating.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata