Re: system freeze

On 2022-04-20 17:34, Felix Miata wrote:
mick crane composed on 2022-04-20 11:47 (UTC+0100):

Graphics:
   Device-1: AMD Pitcairn LE GL [FirePro W5000] vendor: Dell driver:
radeon
     v: kernel alternate: amdgpu pcie: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 16
ports:
active: DP-1 empty: DP-2,DVI-I-1 bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:6809
     class-ID: 0300
   Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.3 compositor: xfwm v: 4.16.1
driver:
     X: loaded: radeon unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa gpu: radeon
Your GPU has another driver option set. Currently you are using radeon kernel device driver with radeon DDX Xorg display driver. You may switch to the amdgpu kernel device driver, which supports both the amdgpu DDX display driver and the modesetting DIX display driver. To make the switch, append the following to the
linu lines in /boot/grub/grub.cfg and GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= in
/etc/default/grub:

	 radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1

I added that to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub but I can't see what to put in /boot/grub/grub.cfg because I'm not supposed to edit it and grub-mkconfig is automagical.

Switching between the two Xorg drivers can be done via config file in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ to specify either with a device line.

what does that device line look like ?

Because it's happening in web browser, I'm guessing GPU overheat is likely the cause. Taking the cover off the PC and aiming a large fan at the interior may be telling. Make sure the CPU fan, if present, is working, and the heat sink isn't loaded with accumulated dust and tobacco tar. If it is, then the PS would need cleaning too, as there it could cause voltage instability from overheating.

It may be temperature, there was some dust and tobacco on the case fans but GPU heat sink is clean and fan spinning. I don't think this Dell Dimension PC will start up if the fans aren't working as when I got it one of the case fans wasn't working and I had to get a new unit. Have occasionally checked temperature with GUI sensor viewer but not caught it overheating
GPU - 37C
CPU - 40C

cheers

mick