Re: backing up backups

On Tue 19 Apr 2022 at 07:19:58 (+0200), DdB wrote:

> So i came up with the idea to create a sort of inventory using a sparse
> copy of empty files only (using mkdir, truncate + touch). The space
> requirements are affordable (like 2.3M for an inventory representing
> 3.5T of data). The effect being, that find will see those files by
> name/directory/time/size and permissions, allowing to find duplicates
> according to those attributes quite nicely.
>
> Since i started doing that, i always do know exactly, what's out there
> and where to find it, as if i had only the inodes at hand. Suits MY
> needs. :-)

That sounds somewhat like my scheme for indexing my caddies, USB
sticks and SD cards. When I unmount them, a script makes three
indexes: the first running updatedb to a private database, the
second running find to produce a list of strictly alphabetically
ordered files (full name, --full-time and size) and the directories
containing them, and the third, most like yours, running ls -lAR
to another private database. The three indexes are propagated to
my other hosts.

Apart from being a plain text file, the output of ls -lAR, stored
either as ….lslR or ….lslR.gz, can be navigated with Midnight
Commander (mc) just as if it were a real filesystem. (Permissions
don't concern me.)

Cheers,
David.