Re: backing up backups

Hello,

Am 11.04.2022 um 04:58 schrieb Default User:
> So . . .   what IS the correct way to make "backups of backups"?

I don't know that for sure, but at first glance, i dont understand the
complexity of your setup either. Seems to by quite elaborate, which is
certainly suiting your needs. And since my base is also quite different
from yours, ideas might not transfer that well... but anyhow

Here is my use case:
Apart from the main system, which resides on an NVME-SSD, all my storage
consists of zfs pools, which allow snapshotting (instead of
time-shifting). And because of the pools being hosted on raid, there is
redundancy PLUS backups (also with partition images among them). Only
SOME rarely used data (like movies), i do push into pools on removable
media (spinning hard drives), and was interested to have their content
searchable online.

So i came up with the idea to create a sort of inventory using a sparse
copy of empty files only (using mkdir, truncate + touch). The space
requirements are affordable (like 2.3M for an inventory representing
3.5T of data). The effect being, that find will see those files by
name/directory/time/size and permissions, allowing to find duplicates
according to those attributes quite nicely.

Since i started doing that, i always do know exactly, what's out there
and where to find it, as if i had only the inodes at hand. Suits MY
needs. :-)

just my 2 cents
DdB