Re: Out of memory killer misconfigured?

On 15/04/2022 11:14, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your patience.

- At the "low level": you are talking about "process trees".
  Perhaps that's the problem. Perhaps, towards the OOM score,
  all those processes count as individual processes.

Each 8GB individual process should be killed absolutely first, not
entire KDE desktop and Xorg. That's obvious.

Note that
  the OOM killer is just the last straw the system grabs to
  try to avoid sinking. Perhaps it's the wrong instrument for
  your case and you need to look into limits, or cgroup memory
  policies.

I look from desktop perspective. OS (Linux) runs my desktop and manage
all programs. When one programs eats too much memory, program gets
killed. That is default behaviour or any mature operating system, even
in Windows 2000 era we had this. I don't understand why Linux, using all
its tools available to itself, is not handling this. I highlight tools
available to it, not to me - I should not need to know which internal
Linux tool kills misbehaving programs and how it works to use my desktop.

- At the "higher level": "you see how things are broken" for
  you. You are still (in my opinion) committing the error of
  generalising your problem /before/ you have spent enough
  time investigating it. That might make it more difficult
  finding a satisfying solution :-)

Yes, I look absolutely from higher, desktop level. Current defaults are
broken. OOM is not working, and it's killing entire system instead of
one offending application. That's a bug.

Plus, don't assume random
  kernel programmers aren't smart. They usually are. And they
  usually spend quite a bit of effort until a patch of this
  kind goes in.

Of course they are very smart. However, in this case, and in hundreds of
similar cases which are being reported as bugs every year, defaults, or
other mechanisms, needs to be adjusted so Denial of Service is not
happening when application takes all memory. Right now, that is exactly
what's happening. System-wide DoS in one second, entire system nuked and
halted when one Wine application claims too much memory.

Cheers

--
With kindest regards, Piotr.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀