Re: Out of memory killer misconfigured?

On 01/04/2022 07:08, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 07:58:38PM +0100, piorunz wrote:
On 29/03/2022 10:56, Sven Hoexter wrote:
E.g. we now have PSI as an information source
https://lwn.net/Articles/759781/
which can be used with the Facebook oomd or systemd-oomd to
have userland control over which process to kill.

Thanks, I've read this article. Unfortunately, this is just information
tool which can be used by engineers and developers so design their own
oomd. I am not a developer.

Is there any config file I can edit so just simply ask oomd to kill most
memory hugging process instead of entire system?

See man (1) choom and search for oom in man (5) proc.

Cheers

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed. Amazing.

Now, after I start the process, I run:

Adjust to maximum setting (kills first):
choom -p `pidof terminal64.exe` --adjust 1000

Lower priority of a processes:
renice 19 `pidof terminal64.exe`

That way offending process will never hang or destabilize my system.

I just wish that Linux kernel would give maximum oom score to process
with most memory, that's so obvious! But instead, defaults are so bad,
it kills everything but one offending process.
Can this be reported as a bug against linux kernel in Debian bug track?

--
With kindest regards, Piotr.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/