Re: updatedb.mlocate

On Sun 10 Apr 2022 at 09:52:15 (-0500), Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
> On Saturday 09 April 2022 01:22:08 pm Charles Curley wrote:
> > On Sat, 9 Apr 2022 11:04:18 -0500
> > "Roy J. Tellason, Sr." <roy@rtellason.com> wrote:
> >
> > > How do I find out where this is invoked,  so I can get rid of it?
> >
> > You may not want to get rid of it. That's the process that updates the
> > database for the locate utility, which is very useful.
>
> Yeah,  it's useful if you change things on the system.  I don't do that all that often,  though.

Bear in mind it indexes /home, so you can use it for your own files.
Obviously, it's a lot faster than find.

> > I was about to add, think instead about adding a nice value to its cron
> > entry.
>
> There is some stuff about that in the script in question,  but rather than working my way through all that I just made that script not executable.
>
> > However it look like mlocate is now handled by systemd, and I
> > don't know enough to advise you on how to do that.
>
> I don't understand the reason for so many things getting pushed in that direction.

It's far more flexible than cron and anacron. But cron is still there,
so you could move it back. But I think Greg's contributions to this
thread have enough information to make it straightforward for you to
change the time to suit.

Cheers,
David.