Re: updatedb.mlocate

On Saturday 09 April 2022 01:22:08 pm Charles Curley wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Apr 2022 11:04:18 -0500
> "Roy J. Tellason, Sr." <roy@rtellason.com> wrote:
>
> > How do I find out where this is invoked,  so I can get rid of it?
>
> You may not want to get rid of it. That's the process that updates the
> database for the locate utility, which is very useful.

Yeah,  it's useful if you change things on the system.  I don't do that all that often,  though.

> I was about to add, think instead about adding a nice value to its cron
> entry.

There is some stuff about that in the script in question,  but rather than working my way through all that I just made that script not executable.

> However it look like mlocate is now handled by systemd, and I
> don't know enough to advise you on how to do that.

I don't understand the reason for so many things getting pushed in that direction.

-
M Dakin