Re: Weird printing issue...

On sab, 2022-04-09 at 04:28 -0400, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
On 2022-04-09 03:52, nimrod wrote:
Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I couldn't find any setting about
Postscript, PCL or such in CUPS, HPLIP and the usual Gnome utilities to
manage printers.

The only spot where I see something like what you say is from
Libreoffice printer's details, File / Printer settings / Properties /
Device / Printer language type. The choice is currently "Automatic:
PDF", but I can choose also 3 level of Postscript or "Postscript: level
from driver".

So there are two stages here. One the app (libre office) converts the
document to postscript or PDF. And two cups converts the PDF or
postscript to some format your printer understands. It is possible that
either of these steps fails.

This is why I recommended trying print to file (which default to pdf)
and seeing if that pdf file prints properly if opened and printed via
chrome. That way you can tell whether it is stage one or stage two above
which has an issue. Also I think there must be a cups command line
command to print pdf and ps files that you could try, if it works in
chrome, to see if chrome does another level of processing that fixes things.

Bijan

Hi,

I tried on my usual laptop a very simple test: I have two version of my printer, so I printed the "ugly" file on both, and only one shows the black stripes.

Unfortunately, nor CUPS, nor Gnome printers app shows any option dealing with PCL, but I found a reference to PCL in the PPD file of the "good" one.

Strangely enough, the "bad" printer was installed by HP Toolbox provided by the hplip package. I need to install a printer with that package in order to use the scan function, which is extremely important for me and is almost impossibile to use with the "good" printer.

Having several printers just to manage all the features of the hardware printer is not very elegant, but as far as it works I could simply rename the "bad" printer "scanner" and the "good" one "printer", just to avoid confusion because now they have very long names which differ just for the last characters.

Thank you again for your advice.