Re: CUPS - how to match autodetected printers to physical ones

On Sun 10 Apr 2022 at 09:19:43 -0400, gene heskett wrote:

> On Sunday, 10 April 2022 08:40:29 EDT Brian wrote:
> >   /usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp
> The only machine I have here that has that file installed, an rpi4, does
> not expose the printers address, only:
> pi@rpi4:~ $ sudo  /usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp
> network lpd://BRN30055C8A2DC8/BINARY_P1 "Brother MFC-J6920DW" "Brother
> MFC-J6920DW" "MFG:Brother;CMD:HBP,BRPJL,URF;MDL:MFC-
> J6920DW;CLS:PRINTER;CID:Brother IJ
> Type3;URF:SRGB24,W8,CP1,IS1-13,MT1-8-11,OB9,PQ4-5,RS200-300,OFU0,V1.2,DM4;"
> "coyote.coyote.den"
>
> The only location identifier is the resolved "coyote.coyote.den" which is
> this machine.
>
> None of the buster boxes have it, so they all report file not found. BUT
> they were all installed from a buster respin by the linuxcnc folks. But
> geany the editor, can drive that printer from any locatiom my cat5 cable
> reaches.
>
> And I just checked because there is a 2nd printer, another brother HL2320
> B&W duplex capable laser, on this machine, and although the above command
> only shows one printer, I can feed both printers from geany running on
> any machine, all 6 of the profiles I have defined are available for geany
> to use as an output device. I suspect the laser doesn't do snmp, its a
> $120 printer. Probably some brother version of plc5 since its running on
> brothers own drivers.

Thank you, Gene. Your investigations are vey useful and point to my
forgetfulness.

The snmp backend is not installed in the location I gave but has
to be moved there. Do either

  mv /usr/lib/cups/backend-available/snmp /usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp

or

  dpkg-reconfigure cups

--
Brian.