Re: CUPS - how to match autodetected printers to physical ones

On Sunday, 10 April 2022 08:40:29 EDT Brian wrote:
>   /usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp
The only machine I have here that has that file installed, an rpi4, does
not expose the printers address, only:
pi@rpi4:~ $ sudo  /usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp
network lpd://BRN30055C8A2DC8/BINARY_P1 "Brother MFC-J6920DW" "Brother
MFC-J6920DW" "MFG:Brother;CMD:HBP,BRPJL,URF;MDL:MFC-
J6920DW;CLS:PRINTER;CID:Brother IJ
Type3;URF:SRGB24,W8,CP1,IS1-13,MT1-8-11,OB9,PQ4-5,RS200-300,OFU0,V1.2,DM4;"
"coyote.coyote.den"

The only location identifier is the resolved "coyote.coyote.den" which is
this machine.

None of the buster boxes have it, so they all report file not found. BUT
they were all installed from a buster respin by the linuxcnc folks. But
geany the editor, can drive that printer from any locatiom my cat5 cable
reaches.

And I just checked because there is a 2nd printer, another brother HL2320
B&W duplex capable laser, on this machine, and although the above command
only shows one printer, I can feed both printers from geany running on
any machine, all 6 of the profiles I have defined are available for geany
to use as an output device. I suspect the laser doesn't do snmp, its a
$120 printer. Probably some brother version of plc5 since its running on
brothers own drivers.

Cheers Brian, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis