Re: CUPS - how to match autodetected printers to physical ones

On Sun 10 Apr 2022 at 05:46:35 -0400, gene heskett wrote:

[...]

> This, FWIW, has nothing to do with cups and printer sharing, cups does
> its own advertising. All printers here are attached to this machine,
> marked as shareable and I can put stuff on their output trays from any
> machine including the rpi4 on my local network.

Indeed, CUPS does do its own advertising of print queue and uses
mDNS/DNS-SD. That is its *only* technique it has available for
sharing the queues.

mDNS/DNS-SD requires avahi-daemon to be active. Without it there
isn't any sharing and advertising.

So, I do not understand "...has nothing to do with...".

--
Brian.