Re: CUPS - how to match autodetected printers to physical ones

On Sat, Apr 09, 2022 at 08:21:12PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:

[...]

> I honestly don't know the subject very well myself, but I'd definitely
> like to know it better than I do.
>
> One aspect of Windows printer sharing is that it makes it possible to
> connect a printer not directly to the network, but locally to a
> particular computer, and then configure that computer to advertise the
> printer over the network. Other computers can then send jobs to that
> printer via that computer, which is de-facto a print server for that
> printer.
>
> Do you know whether CUPS is capable of interacting with printers which
> are shared in that way? (This is a tangent to the topic of the thread,
> but it fits this local context and it's a thing I'd be interested in.)

If that local printer is known to CUPS and the local sysadmin has
marked it as shareable (however you do that in CUPS), that would,
as I have understood it, be Avahi's job, which is a service (advertisement
and) discovery protocol.

Cheers