Re: CUPS - how to match autodetected printers to physical ones

On Sunday, 10 April 2022 07:17:42 EDT The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2022-04-10 at 07:08, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday, 10 April 2022 06:06:31 EDT tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> >> I just don't install it.
> >
> > And how do you accomplish that? Its automatically installed AFAIK.
> > And once installed, apt will not remove it without destroying the
> > install. rm or chmod -x seems to be the only way, and nothing
> > complains.
>
> What package(s), by exact name, are you referring to? That is, which
> package(s) is it that produce this effect when you try to remove them?
>
> On my computer, I have several libavahi* packages, which could not be
> removed without removing large swaths of packages - but I also have
> avahi-daemon and avahi-utils, which can be removed with few if any side
> effects (as far as triggering removal of other packages goes).
>
> And since the subject at hand in this branch of the thread appears to
> be avahi-daemon, surely removing that single package should be enough
> to prevent avahi from doing anything undesirable?

Which IMO It should be but apt will not remove avahi-daemon on any of my
buster machines  or on bullseye without taking "large swaths" of stuff
with it.

Tomas just found, and I have now edited /etc/default/avahi-daemon to
officialy shut it off, ditto for brytty, leaving a killed orca spewing 20
lines of errors into the log every 15 seconds until it takes so long to
append the log that the machine is unusable for over 30 seconds at a time
and must be rebooted about weekly to recover, all because the installer
thinks ANY usb to seriel adaptor plugged in is driving a braille
interface. Theres a lot of other reasons to have such on a system, and in
fact I have 2 of them, one serviceing my ups, and one servicing a cm-11a
interface for heyu. I dare say that is a more common a use than a braille
interface. Or a speech synth that isn't understandable, which category
orca certainly is in.

So I'll repeat my request as to how do I turn off orca AND get rid of the
every 15 second error spew to the log because its been killed?

> --
>    The Wanderer
>
> The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
> persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all
> progress depends on the unreasonable man.         -- George Bernard
> Shaw

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis