Re: CUPS - how to match autodetected printers to physical ones

On Sat, Apr 09, 2022 at 12:05:01AM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 08 Apr 2022 at 21:07:18 +0100, Tixy wrote:
> > I wasn't expecting a different IP address but, given Greg's experience,
>
> I think we have a differnet understanding of what The OP's experience
> was.

I knew the printer's IP address before I even touched CUPS.  It was
prominently displayed on the device itself.  It was the one thing I
didn't have to guess at during the entire adventure.(*)

In all of my experience working with printers BEFORE the CUPS/Avahi
thing came along, knowing the IP address of the network printer was
the first, fundamental step.  When you set up the printer device in
Unix, using lprng or whatever it was at the time, that was where you
started.  Here's the IP address, now add it to DNS so it has a name,
and then add a printer device that uses that hostname.

In CUPS/Avahi, apparently you aren't supposed to do things in that way,
because it would be too obvious.

Fortunately, there are low-level commands that allow you to bypass
the "right way of doing things" and get at the information you need to
actually make the thing *work*.  (Or if you don't know those commands
yet, there's still trial and error.)

(*) Remember, I had an entry in DNS pointing to that IP address already.
The IP address *predated the printer device*.  It was surely associated
with the previous printer that was in that spot.  Whoever installed this
printer was probably told to report its MAC address to the DHCP admin
so they could assign the old printer's IP address to the new printer.