Re: CUPS - how to match autodetected printers to physical ones

On Fri 08 Apr 2022 at 21:07:18 +0100, Tixy wrote:

> On Fri, 2022-04-08 at 20:18 +0100, Brian wrote:

> > > If I go to http://localhost:631/printers/ and click on my printer it
> > > shows amongst other information:
> > >
> > > Connection:	socket://192.168.2.3:9100
> >
> > OK. That's the destination.
> > >
> > > In case it got that IP address because I configured it that way, I just
> > > tried it on another computer that didn't previously have CUPS on until
> > > I just installed it and it shows the same for an auto discovered
> > > printer.
> >
> > Do you find that surprising? The destination hasn't changed because you
> > use another computer. You would be miffed if it did.
> >

> I wasn't expecting a different IP address but, given Greg's experience,

I think we have a differnet understanding of what The OP's experience
was.

> it might have shown no address at all if it was auto discovered as
> opposed to being configured by specifying an address. (Which is what I
> thought I had done.)

Printer discovery results in no address (URI) being known? Just because
it wasn't manually configured? Where would the print job go? Discovery
would be useless.

--
Brian,