Re: random usernames in attempts to break in to my machine?

On Mon, Apr 04, 2022 at 12:53:34PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:

[...]

> One of the things I've noted about bullseye, is that apache2 is no longer
> generating the "other" logs like it did for stretch for many years. That
> was where all the bots wound up and I'm guessing there must be north of
> 50 of them active at any one time [...]

We had that bot discussion already, Gene. If I remember correctly,
you didn't want to try the advice given to you around here (bots
are usually easy to recognise given their headers: they seldom
try to hide as "normal web users"). Besides, they usually come
from a small range of addresses.

What we are talking here about are break-in attempts, which do try
to hide and come from a huge shotgun-scatter of IP addresses (most
probably from botnets for hire, consisting of infected end-user
boxes out there).

Cheers