Re: toshiba video problem

Noah Sombrero composed on 2022-04-04 12:20 (UTC-0400):

>>> 2) must use all_generic_ide.  This is suggested as an option by the
>>> debian installer in the Special Situations section.

>>Was this determination made years ago, or only just now with Debian 11? Some
>>installation options are only appropriate for the installer, and need to be
>>removed from Grub post-installation. This sounds like one that should be removed.

> What would be the consequence of leaving it?

Unknown. Like I wrote previously, I'd never seen it before this thread.

> My experience is that
> changes to the grub script once it has been constructed will be used
> only once and not preserved for future use.
 Changes are either "permanent", or per boot. When an edit is done at the Grub
menu via the E key, it is per boot, current boot, one-time only. "Permanent" edits
are made in /etc/default/grub, and applied by updating grub.cfg. Per boot is for
testing a parameter's behavior, and deciding whether it is needed "permanently".
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata