Re: networking.service fails

On 4/4/22 10:15 am, Charles Curley wrote:
On Mon, 4 Apr 2022 09:50:19 +0800
Jeremy Ardley <jeremy@ardley.org> wrote:

   * systemd-networkd.service
   * networking.service
   * NetworkManager.service
Possibly because they do different things.

I have no experience what the first one does.

systemd.networkd.service does everything that networking.service does, but then adds on features such as an inbuilt dhcp4 and dhcpv6 server plus it does ipv6 route advertising. The added features are optional and you can still use your existing ISC dhcp severs and radvd if you want.

In my case I am delegating ipv6 prefixes that I obtain from my ISP and also advertising them, making radvd redundant. I have kept my ISC dhcp servers as I am doing DDNS with my bind instance. Possibly systemd-networkd.service does DDNS as well but I haven't explored that.

--
Jeremy