Re: fluxbox partial installation

On Sat 02 Apr 2022 at 15:17:41 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 02, 2022 at 02:02:14PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > 10.7.5 User configuration files (“dotfiles”)
> >
> > The files in /etc/skel will automatically be copied into new user
> > accounts by adduser. No other program should reference the files in
> > /etc/skel.
> >
> > Therefore, if a program needs a dotfile to exist in advance in $HOME
> > to work sensibly, that dotfile should be installed in /etc/skel and
> > treated as a configuration file.
>
> Even if a package did this, it wouldn't cause that file to be
> propagated into *existing* user home directories.  It would only
> show up for newly created users.

[… lacking a home directory]

I assumed this had already been answered by:

but perhaps it needs pointing out that the quotation is outlining
the closest approach to providing an exception to the FHS (v3.0).
And it has to be possible to install Debian packages without there
being any users configured at all.

/etc/skel would be a potential cause for users to discover a file
that they themselves hadn't generated in some way, but I see that
its three entries haven't been changed in donkey's years.

Cheers,
David.