Re: installing on Lenovo Ideapad 3 now working

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 07:14:39AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 08:31:38PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > On Tue 29 Mar 2022 at 20:57:48 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > One of the caveats with dd (or cat, or...) is that you might
> > > be tempted to pull the USB stick too early [...]
>
> > A reasonable observation. However, it should be noted that there has
> > never been a well-documneted case of dd, cat or cp failing. I doubt
> > the OP will provide substantial reproducible evidence, whatever
> > "worked" meant.
>
> What I have observed, and that is a strong hint, is that if you do
> a simple "dd", it comes back as soon as the stuff is in the buffers
> (they're there exactly for that). If you then do "sync", it takes
> quite a while (especially for USB 2 and larger media).
>
> If you think things are done as soon as dd comes back and pull the
> stick, chances are that your write is incomplete.
>
> So my recommendation is still: either do the sync or dd with
> oflag=sync.
>
> Cheers
> --

So, something close to:

Where sdX is the drive your USB shows up as when you do a dmesg

dd if=[iso] of=/dev/sdX bs=4M oflag=sync status=progress

if is the input file name  - the iso

of is the output file to write to

bs is the block size

oflag=sync will sync each write and flush buffers

status=progress gives you an indication of how far through the process is

dd if=debian-10.12.0-amd64-i386-netinst.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M oflag=sync status=progress

is a command I wrote the other day to write the multi-arch netinst to USB
for testing the Buster release.

Hope this helps - all the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater