Re: installing on Lenovo Ideapad 3 now working

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 08:31:38PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Tue 29 Mar 2022 at 20:57:48 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

[...]

> > One of the caveats with dd (or cat, or...) is that you might
> > be tempted to pull the USB stick too early [...]

> A reasonable observation. However, it should be noted that there has
> never been a well-documneted case of dd, cat or cp failing. I doubt
> the OP will provide substantial reproducible evidence, whatever
> "worked" meant.

What I have observed, and that is a strong hint, is that if you do
a simple "dd", it comes back as soon as the stuff is in the buffers
(they're there exactly for that). If you then do "sync", it takes
quite a while (especially for USB 2 and larger media).

If you think things are done as soon as dd comes back and pull the
stick, chances are that your write is incomplete.

So my recommendation is still: either do the sync or dd with
oflag=sync.

Cheers