Re: installing on Lenovo Ideapad 3

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 07:35:46AM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Having done many Debian installs I am now trying to install on a new Lenovo
> IdeaPad 3.
>
> I have disabled Trusted Platform Module and Secure Boot.
>
> I used Balena Etcher to install a Debian iso to a USB stick.
>
> Rather than a boot order that IdeaPad allows enabling USB and two network
> options for booting.  USB has been enable for all of my many attempts.
>
> TIA for any ideas on how to solve and/or diagnose this.
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

If I were you, I wouldn't start from here.

I'd start by using the unofficial non-free iso that includes firmware.
I would enable TPM and Secure Boot - both work in Debian 11.

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/11.3.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-11.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso

Again, I wouldn't use Balena Etcher - I would use dd if you have
a Linux machine around - you can always reformat the USB drive afterwards.

https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/amd64/ gives you the installation
guide.

F12 will give you a boot order, yes.

With every good wish, as ever,