Re: Out of memory killer misconfigured?

On 29/03/2022 10:56, Sven Hoexter wrote:

The in kernel oom killing is a constant issue. If you look through the
lwn.net articles of the past years there is work done to improve the
situation, but I believe that's not in a default setup yet.

Yes it's terrible, how this can be broken so badly? Logic is very simple
here, even back in Windows XP times it was already solved by Microsoft?
Just one simple thing, one line of logic:

1. If RAM memory usage > 95% AND no swap available AND I/O cache already
dropped THEN kill most memory hungry process
2. Repeat

Job done!

But instead I ended up with 400 KB of logs showing how kernel oomd was
busy destroying my working KDE session.

E.g. we now have PSI as an information source
https://lwn.net/Articles/759781/
which can be used with the Facebook oomd or systemd-oomd to
have userland control over which process to kill.

If you really want to fine tune your system this should give
you a lead what to look for.

Sven

Thanks Sven, I will have a look.
Facebook-oomd, systemd-oomd? And built-in Linux solution? How many are
out there? :O

Do you reckon I can report this as a bug against Linux kernel in Debian
bug track?

--
With kindest regards, Piotr.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀