Re: Out of memory killer misconfigured?

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 10:34:19AM +0100, piorunz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use Debian Testing on AMD64, on a workstation with Ryzen 5800X - 16
> CPU cores and 64GB of ECC DDR4 RAM.
>
> Today, Windows application I run on Wine for work has decided to eat all
> available memory, CPU and HDD I/O. I don't have swapfile, so Linux
> kernel must kill something to remain online when all RAM is taken by
> rogue application.
> That's where problem I noticed comes in - Debian oom-kill has killed
> EVERYTHING and actual offending memory hungry application at the end.
> Why?! It destroyed working KDE session and I had to hard reset the PC.

The in kernel oom killing is a constant issue. If you look through the
lwn.net articles of the past years there is work done to improve the
situation, but I believe that's not in a default setup yet.

E.g. we now have PSI as an information source
https://lwn.net/Articles/759781/
which can be used with the Facebook oomd or systemd-oomd to
have userland control over which process to kill.

If you really want to fine tune your system this should give
you a lead what to look for.

Sven