Re: Does this happen often with sid?

On 3/28/22 10:52 AM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 10:34:01AM -0400, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:

The problem is with the section that lists the packages that will be
REMOVED.

It looks like the upgrade to the python3 packages that remove/replace some
existing python3 packages versions triggers apt to also remove samba and
xen-utils-4.16, which I do not want, so I aborted it. Can I expect that in
due time, the python3 dependencies will be updated so the full upgrade can
succeed without removing the xen-utils-4.16 and samba packages?

Thanks,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Yes, this is entirely normal in Sid and is the main reason that we discourage
people in general from running it as a distribution: if it breaks, you get to
keep both pieces and are expected to be able to fix missing dependencies.

In this instance, I suspect that samba will be fixed relatively quickly - I'm
honestly not sure how big the Xen team is at the moment.

It looks like the cause of the problem is an upgrade to Python 3.10 and it is also looks like it is already fixed for Xen by the Build Daemon according to this changelog entry for today's upload of Xen packages to the main archive:

xen (4.16.0+51-g0941d6cb-1+b1) sid; urgency=low, binary-only=yes

  * Binary-only non-maintainer upload for amd64; no source changes.
  * Python 3.10 as default

 -- amd64 / i386 Build Daemon (x86-ubc-01) <buildd_amd64-x86-ubc-01@buildd.debian.org>  Mon, 28 Mar 2022 11:29:11 +0000

I am still waiting for the fix for samba, though. Also, on my desktop Sid installation with libreoffice, the Python 3.10 upgrade also removes libreoffice until that dependency is fixed for libreoffice.

So it looks like the Python 3.10 upgrade is going to cause some packages to be removed with the full-upgrade option to apt, so be careful out there upgrading Sid today.

Cheers,

Chuck