Debian 11.3 kernel panics on Epyc 7281 CPU

Hi
Our servers were running Debian 10 without any issues
We have been trying to do a fresh install of debian 11.3 on exactly the same hardware. The install works without any errors but on rebooting the system fails with kernel panics

By adding  init=/bin/bash from within grub works and we can then do things like
mount - o remount /
cd /etc/init.d
./networking start
./ssh start
apt install stress
stress -c 16 -m 16 --vm-bytes 50GB
This stress test (without running the normal init process)  runs for hours without issues

We then tried adding systemd.confirm_spawn=true from the boot line in grub to try to see at what stage the kernel crashes
Even if we don't confirm the first systemd spawn and leave the computer waiting for an answer for a few minutes the kernel panics

Has anyone else seen this or have a fix for it?
The board is a GIGABYTE  R181-Z90-00 Version F01 , the CPU is AMD EPYC 7281,the total memory is 1TB from 64GB sticks of Samsung DDR4 M386A8K40BM2-CTD

For now we have reinstalled Debian 10 - that is running without any issues -  but we need to install Debian 11 to avoid having to recompile lots of libraries

thanks for any help