Re: Can't use mc's editor

On Tue 22 Mar 2022 at 04:17:37 (-0500), Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * On 2022 21 Mar 23:30 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> > David Wright composed on 2022-03-21 23:07 (UTC-0500):

> > > I've attached the result of that reversion (from buster). The critical
> > > line is, of course, line 4. I assume that, like me, a long time ago,
> > > you altered it to auto_save_setup=false.
> >
> > Actually the first thing I do with any new instance of MC is set the right panel
> > listing to long. I follow that with F9, Options, Configuration, where Auto save
> > setup gets deselected, among other changes. :)
>
> And I have Autosave selected in all my installations of mc so IME, the
> last one to close writes the file.  It's not unusual for me to have half
> a dozen instances of mc running at once!  Sometimes I find I had two or
> three running in the same terminal session.  Oh dear...

Somewhat like myself, then, except that I feel no need for regret.
AIUI, mc was developed in a world where we worked in one console
session on one machine, and there are a number of features to support
this style of working.

I've never made use of mcedit, history, hotlist, etc, nor do I save
their configuration state (or use -P) when closing. Instead of using
such "bookmark" concepts, I just leave the "book" open on the "desk"
while I turn to or open another one.

So typically I will have several mc instances on the local machine,
± instances over ssh on other machines, and occasional instances
with a different machine in the left panel. They're colour-coded
by host, with another colour reserved for mixed machine sessions.
As I see it, it's a natural consequence of working across 20
virtual desktops.

Sanity is preserved by having every mc session start in /one/ fixed
configuration state, in one of three layouts:

Invocation         Left Panel           Right Panel

$ mc [dir]     ‖   ${1:-$PWD}       |     $HOME      ‖
or
$ mc1 [dir]    ‖             ${1:-$HOME}             ‖
or
$ mc-foo       ‖   sh://foo/$HOME   |     $HOME      ‖

Cheers,
David.