Re: its been done again. No network

On Thursday, 24 March 2022 16:57:33 EDT Felix Miata wrote:
> gene heskett composed on 2022-03-24 16:15 (UTC-0400):
> > On Thursday, 24 March 2022 13:11:20 EDT Felix Miata wrote:
> >> Andy Smith composed on 2022-03-24 12:51 (UTC-0000):

> >> The systemd-networkd option is available in all distros running
> >> systemd.
> >
> > But I'm serious Felix, when I ask how the heck is an update that
> > changes to all that from a single file in /etc/network/interfaces.d,
> > doing away with that file, but the person is supposed to actually
> > discover that, and then make sense out of reading it? The potential
> > for double-speak has been well explored in such a man page once you
> > find it.  Thanks for the link name.
>
> On that page there isn't very much before you get to "beyond the
> basics". With static IP, that's as far as anyone need read, assuming
> having managed to determine how to disengage the in place network
> setup.

That is 200% the problem, its so deeply buried you cannot find it, and
asking how on a mailing list is like searching for a gold ring in a
tijuana pan shop.  Sometimes its 3 or 4 days of fine tuning my questions
before a meaningfull answer comes out of someones fingers.

> I don't know that I understand what you're asking. What is "all that"?
> /etc/systemd/network/* takes the place of /etc/network* when taking
> advantage of the already in place init system+'s ability to bring up
> and maintain an interface. Something has to turn on whatever
> networking system is configured. systemd-networkd.service is systemd's
> network setup enabler. "All that" seems to be no more than
> /etc/systemd/network/<ifacename>.network with 6-7 lines, plus enabling
> systemd-networkd.service.

But that info is NOT plainly stated in those man pages. It may be there,
but its buried in drivel that does not often offer an example.

Take care and stay well Felix.

> Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
> 	based on faith, not based on science.
>
>  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!
>
> Felix Miata
>
> .

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)