Re: Can't use mc's editor

* On 2022 21 Mar 20:56 -0500, David Wright wrote:
> On Mon 21 Mar 2022 at 19:34:46 (-0500), Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > * On 2022 21 Mar 15:19 -0500, Joe wrote:
> > > Probably best try nano unless you're particularly keen on vim. Don't
> > > forget that geany is a GUI IDE, whereas mc is a ncurses application.
> >
> > Actually, mc and mcedit are linked to libslang, not ncurses.  Visually
> > it's not much difference but otherwise a world of difference, mostly to
> > developers.
> >
> > One thing that really helped me when working with mcedit is to have this
> > snippet in my ~/.bashrc:
> >
> > # Modify Midnight Commander editor background color
> > export MC_COLOR_TABLE="$MC_COLOR_TABLE:\
> > editnormal=lightgray,black:\
> > editbold=yellow,black:\
> > editmarked=black,cyan"
> >
> > There may be more parameters available and it has been many years since
> > I found that somewhere on the 'Net and I failed to note the source.
>
> man mc ?

Indeed, there is an entire section called "Colors" and lists the
keywords for the editor as:

Editor colors are: editnormal, editbold, editmarked, editwhitespace, editlinestate

I probably got the color snippet from mcedit(1) and its COLORS section
which looks suspiciously the same and only contains three of the five
keywords.

I'm not completely ignorant of man pages, having authored a few!  ;-)  I
suppose it just slipped my mind when I typed that mail.

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB