Re: Can't use mc's editor

On Sun, 20 Mar 2022 15:25:02 -0400
Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2022 13:53:52 -0400
> gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
>
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > The colors used by mc's editor are making the editor impossible to
> > use as they can't be used by someone with good color vision even,
> > they are all so alike.
> >
> > Where can I change mc's default editor to something as clear and
> > easy to use as geany? Seems to me that used to be a menu choice,
> > but thats not findable when the menus except for the click on it
> > character are all solid 100% bright blue and cannot be read by
> > human eyes.
>
> There are two questions here:
>
> 1) How can mc's colors be changed?
>
> Answer: via environment variables or the configuration file
> (~/.config/mc/ini) - see the "Colors" section of the mc manpage.

And a nasty job that is. And you *still* can't change the dark brown of
programming comments to something readable on a dark background.

> 2) How can mc's default editor be changed?
>
> Answer: via mc.ext (copy /etc/mc/mc.ext to ~/.config/mc/mc.ext and
> edit the copied version)

Also:
"Run MC as usual. On the command line right above the bottom row of menu
selections type select-editor. This should open a menu with a list of
all of your installed editors. This is working for me on all my current
linux machines."
https://askubuntu.com/questions/16776/how-to-switch-the-editor-in-mc-midnight-commander-from-nano-to-mcedit

I think you're fairly limited in choices by default. I have a couple of
other small text-mode editors installed, and mc can't see them.

Probably best try nano unless you're particularly keen on vim. Don't
forget that geany is a GUI IDE, whereas mc is a ncurses application.

--
Joe